Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Adversity of the Road

The road has been hard. We first visited the small town of Caldwell, ID where I spent my formative years. It was around 30 miles away from our starting location and our packs were heavy. The journey was difficult but with the help of two friendly individuals we made it. Those friendly faces will be burnt into my memory. Tim was the first. He actually turned his car around and drove us 8 miles in the opposite direction of where he was going just to hear our story and to tell us a little of his. He gave us two roses and some religious texts as parting gifts and wished us well. The day smelled of sunshine and farming. As night was falling and our destination was still miles away we ran into Roger. He had been out on his four wheeler watering his crops all day but saw our need. We planted our butts on the back of his four wheeler and held on as he drove us further towards our destination. He left us with kind words as well and suggestions of where we could sleep.
We reached the river where we planned to camp utterly exhausted and sore. It was after midnight and we still needed to pitch the tent. We managed to do so and fell into the slumber worthy of the trip. We spent a few days in Caldwell resting and decided to lighten our packs. They were just too heavy to make good time. I'm wearing the clothes on my back, my pack filled with only the essentials plus one book and my journal. Much lighter we weighed our options, after some debating we decided to catch a greyhound to Seattle. It was more complicated than I had imagined as the greyhound in Caldwell had been shutdown and we found ourselves needing to be back in Boise. This was more than a little disheartening. We spent the night in a hotel in Boise after catching a bus and had a long night and morning filled with discontent, insecurity and general doubt. We caught that bus though and after one more night of rest I feel like we are ready again to hit the road after we explore more of Seattle's sights, sounds, and tastes. I already am relishing the fact that we are in an actual living city again, the noise is comforting, the coffee is wonderful, and my heart is willing.

1 comment:

risa said...

figuring out true "rest stops" along the way will be crucial to maintaining your equanimity; but I'm glad you had some angels, and that things are back on track!