Sunday, June 29, 2008

Someone Else's Dream

The tumbleweed blew across the road as the mountains turned into a highland desert. We left Seattle behind not on foot as planned but on a road trip to Cincinnati. The rest of our traveling companions have their individual reasons for heading there.
We passed into Idaho and out again just as quickly. It's a small state when you're just crossing the panhandle. On the way through I saw a sign that said, "Welcome to the center of the universe -Wallace, Idaho". I didn't have a moment of satori as I passed through but the town did seem interesting. They had a nice older looking downtown area, all five story brick buildings. They even had a bordello museum, I'd definitely like to go back some day.
We chased a lightning storm across Montana as well. It kept pace with us for over 4 hours, flashing its lights in the distance. The ground was flat enough that we always seemed to be heading straight into it.
In South Dakota we visited the town of Wall, and of course visited Wall Drug. It was an absolute horror of American tourist traps. Filled to the brim with every kitschy item you can imagine and beyond that even. It was almost impossible to eat as a vegetarian across the middle of the States but I figured as much and ate a lot of breakfast.
Before we hit Iowa we started worrying about all the flooding. We weren't sure if the highway would be open or not, but it seemed they had just opened up the Interstate which was very good. As we drove through you could just tell that the ground was utterly saturated with water and in parts lakes lapped right against the shoulder of the Interstate.
We arrived in Cincinnati and left just as quickly. Not by choice... necessity was fueling our trip out to Buffalo. We are here now and the trip is over just as quickly as it began. I would say the trip was pointless but I can't even begin to describe how amazing Seattle was, how generous each person we couch surfed with was, and even what the drive to Cincinnati was like. I do not have the words. I wish it could have gone on longer, I wish that money was not the absolute ruling entity in all our lives. I am disappointed but in the end, it's all alright. Any experience at all is better than none and I have faith that I will attempt it again.

No comments: